Why 2015 Was Awful but Also Really Cool
With December 30th rolling around, it's time for the annual year in review.
- •The Good:I was able to shadow two influential doctors in the neuroscience field that helped me further pursue my passion of becoming a doctor.
- •I've made huge strides as both a musician as well as a skateboarder. Being able to see the progress after putting in the effort is extremely fulfilling. "Ten thousand hours is the magic number of greatness."
- •I watched the New York Mets almost win a World Series. Baseball was my first love, and being able to see the mets win a playoff game live and In person still makes me crack a smile. My "groundhog day" would be October 18th.
- •I believe I've grown into a more selfless, and thoughtful person. I try to put others happiness before my own and make sure the ones close to me know how much they mean to me.
- •The Bad:For the first time in my life, I battled depression. I spent my days worrying about my future and things that were beyond my reach that it took an extreme toll on every relationship. I believed I was pretty worthless, and incompetent solely because I didn't get an email back for a few months. Everything wound up working out in the end. I continue to let my fear of the future take a toll on me, but I have a really great support team.
- •I got dumped. Amidst the depression, and constant self loathe, I lost one of the only things I truly cared about. She couldn't take it anymore but she really didn't understand. I owe a lot to this though. It was an eye opener; I grew up way too fast. I was judgmental, pretentious and I was letting life pass me by. Things are still weird with us
- •All my plans to travel fell through. I didn't get to ride my bike through Italy, or drive cross country and snowboard in Colorado and Wyoming for two weeks. Ever since I spent three weeks in California, I've been yearning for that same feeling of freedom.
- •I've developed incredibly lazy habits that have inhibited my work ethic. However, I don't seem to have the energy to break them. Smoking too much weed and watching the office face deep in chocolate covered pretzels every night is just too enticing.
- •Even after making this list, I still don't know how I feel about 2015. I'm just going to continue to make positive strides in every facet of my life, and welcome 2016 with open arms.