I GOT SUSPENDED AS AN 8TH GRADE TEACHER
Once upon a time in 2011 Atlanta
- •I was once in Teach For AmericaThere's great people doing great things in TFA. I am not bitter towards them, but ultimately feel it's a band-aid solution.
- •I taught math and science to 8th gradersTwo subjects! Double duty for the rookie teacher. I also had special needs students and more kids than desks.
- •I volunteered with the football teamI fit in there and the coaches were very real with these kids speaking to them as adults. Lots of swearing.
- •I told a kid to stop being a dickHe had scribbled all over the girls paper who was sitting next to him. He was on the football team.
- •I catch a kid passing a noteDuring a test. The note reads, "can u believe this butt fucking faggot fuck made this test so looong? Wuts #3?"
- •I send him to the officeI saved the note to show my friends. Proof I was too immature to be a teacher.
- •The kid rats me outWhy am I getting in trouble when Mr. Mandarino swears at us...
- •3 day suspensionAka paid vacation
- •I was laid off at the end of the yearDistrict made cuts. My suspension put me at the top of that list. Ending my career as a classroom teacher.