THINGS I'LL TAKE AWAY FROM 2015
Inspired by @sally_lee. Thoughts about my tussle with cancer while on a mission project in Honduras.
- •The greatest acts of service are the ones we know nothing about...I am wired to serve. But now the roles are reversed. I'm recovering from a double mastectomy and undergoing chemo. There is a small army of do-gooders who are quietly handling issues that would upset me and preventing important things from falling through the cracks. There is no way I will ever be able to know and thank each person. That is the true definition of service.
- •True love...Is having a husband of 9 months clean your drains, and with all sincerity look at your mutilated body and utter, " you are my beautiful treasure."
- •There is a difference between Joy and Happiness...I have had very little happiness this year but I have been overwhelmed with joy. "Happiness is smiling when the sun is out. Joy is dancing in the rain."
- •Bold prayers work...The night before the surgery my doctor told me his team prays over the patient before the surgery begins and he quite humbly asked that we do the same for him. My friends who are far away and "only" able to pray have sustained me. When I have enough strength to simply stare into space I am able to do the same for them. This keeps me connected and away from falling into a dark pit of evil. "Help. Thanks. Wow. " - The 3 basic prayers as defined by Anne Lamott
- •Love crosses all cultural and linguistic boundaries...To mi hermanos y hermanas en Honduras - I came to serve you and you have instead served me. I have no words for my gratitude.