STAGES OF MY VISIT TO THE LISTAPP OFFICES
I visited the ListApp offices today. It was the first time I have met anybody affiliated with ListApp IRL. This is how it went:
- •ExcitementA week ago: I realize I can squeeze in a visit on my brief trip to LA. I am so excited to meet everyone who is making this magic place on the Internet!
- •AnxietyThis morning: I forget why I wanted to go/ I remember I have social anxiety.
- •ArrivalThe ListApp HQ is walking distance from my parents house.
- •AwkwardnessDid I mention I have lots of social anxiety? This makes me clam up.
- •DelightEverybody at ListApp is just as sweet, funny, handsome, and generous as you hoped they would be.
- •OffensePretty sure I accidentally offended @bjnovak when I suggested Gjusta was symptomatic of a "douchey new Venice." I secretly love the new bougie Venice, but I also miss the funky neighborhood I grew up in. I am taken by surprise, every time I return, by how fancy it is now. I backtrack. He is nice about it.
- •DeliciousnessLunch is DELICIOUS. I am appropriately shamed for my earlier comment. Everybody sits around and eats together like a family, almost every day. It is very sweet to witness.
- •DiscoveryI learn all sorts of cool things about the app!
- •GossipI secretly (not so secretly) love this. (Everyone really does have a list crush on @Meatball.)
- •Confession/DiscussionI tell everybody how I really feel about the app (love it obvi,) why I use it (creative satisfaction, voyeurism.) Everyone listens very graciously to my unsolicited suggestions. I am fascinated by the behind-the-scenes. I love it here. I could stay all day!
- •AwkwardnessI realize I've been here a really long time and everyone has to go back to work. I also have a plane to catch?
- •Delight/DepartureBut everyone is so great! I leave.
- •Immediate Nostalgia