BEST THINGS ABOUT LIVING IN HAWAII
My family and I have been living on the island of Oahu for a year and a half and LOVE it. Here are a few reasons why.
- •The food!The local food is incredible, probably the best seafood I've ever had. Also, there is a huge Asian population on the island so the Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai/Vietnamese restaurants are unbelievable as well. Also, breakfast food is extremely popular here and I'm always down for that.
- •The views!At any given point on Oahu chances are that you either have a great view of mountains or are on top of a mountain with a gorgeous view of your surroundings. Mountains are everywhere. The building I work in was built on top of mountain. It can be a bit overwhelming at times. But in a good way. It really does look like the pictures on the postcards.
- •The people/culture!The Hawaiian people are extremely friendly and welcoming. Throwing a Shaka gets you out of most situations (especially while driving). Also, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more patriotic culture. Don't even suggest that Hawaii is not America. If you happen to call the continental US "America" instead of "the mainland" you will be swiftly corrected. These people have bled and died for this country and are fervently proud of that.
- •The beaches!I've never been a beach guy. I didn't really get it. That's because I've been going to effing Myrtle Beach my whole life. The Hawaiian beaches are next level. The sand is soft. The water is clear. There are mountains behind you. THERE IS NO SMELL. It took my months to realize this, but the ocean in Hawaii does not smell like I was used to on the East Coast. That's a game changer.
- •The weather!Summer: High of 85 degrees, low of 75 degrees. Winter: High of 75 degrees, low of 65 degrees. That's about it. It never gets cold in the winter and it never gets unbearably hot in the summer. It is the perfect climate. They call it paradise for a reason.