A List for A College Bound Niece
The world is sometimes very scary. These are things to keep in mind, compiled from watching too many procedural dramas. It probably sounds crazy paranoid, but this is one of those "better safe than sorry" things. So, hey, let's be careful out there.
- 1.Do not go to the basement or do your laundry from 10pm to 6am. On TV people who do this end up in the dryer.
- 2.Do not take drinks from strangers. If at some point you need to go to the bathroom and you haven't yet finished your drink, sorry, that drink is done.
- 3.If you are going out and will be drinking, make sure your group assigns a designated driver or make sure you've got money for a cab. Do not drink and drive and do not let friends drive drunk.
- 4.There is safety in numbers. Don't be that character that walks on dark streets alone. The episode never turns out well for them.
- 5.If you live in a residence that requires people to be buzzed in if they don't have a key, don't fall for that random person that says they forgot their key and could you please let them in (Unless of course you actually know this person. But give them hell for it first.)If they don't belong in your building, you might not be their target, but someone else is.
- 6.Have a buddy system. Let people know where you're going to be and what time you expect to be around. And check on your friends as well. A text to ask if they got home ok is simple enough to do.
- 7.The bad guys are creative these days. Don't fall for kids or kindly looking senior citizens asking for help. Or guys with what they claim is a sick dog.Direct them to the police if they need help. Under no circumstances do you follow them to their vehicle.
- 8.Be aware or your surroundings: don't get lost on your phone or gadget. Take note of the nearest exits. Be alert, keep your eyes open.
- 9.If you know you locked your door when you left but when you return the door is open (and you know nobody is home), don't go inside, "just to check." Find someone, call security. You don't want to be the one who walks into their apartment when the bad guy is still inside.
- 10.If you're driving and your in a parking lot walking to your car, have your keys out and ready. Do not stand at the car door rummaging for your keys. Get inside, close the door and lock it as soon as you can.