One Year Ago Today
- •My little brother, my mom and I piled in the car and drove from Reno to Palm Springs, CAIn one day.
- •My other little brother had to work at his brand new job as a towel guy at a casino resort, so he couldn't come.
- •My dad was living in Palm Springs for three months to transition from male to female.
- •This trip wasn't the most tumultuous milestone in our journey, but it was still filled with heartache and awkwardness and avoidance and, in fleeting moments, tentative joy.
- •One year ago today was the first time I'd ever seen my dad so happy and so fully and truly who my dad was meant to be.
- •I will always love this route and how this landscape kept me company when everything else felt so unsteady and overwhelming.