THINGS YOU SHOULD DO BEFORE RUNNING A HALF MARATHON
I ran a half marathon a few weeks ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I was wildly unprepared for it and my youth was the only thing that helped me survive.
- •Train. Like actually train.I started off training really well and was getting to a really good point in my workouts when I fell ill. So I stopped training until I got better but then I never got better.
- •Hydrate.I was also doing very well with this one but that was mainly because I was sick and super dehydrated.
- •Don't run if you have any trace of bronchitis or other respiratory illness.I had already paid to run so seeing my investment through was more important to me than my own health.
- •Stretch.You should probably do this daily anyway.
- •Don't eat garbage. Especially the day before.I accidentally ate cinnamon rolls the morning before the race. By the time I remembered I wasn't supposed to do that it was too late. So I counted them as carb loading and went about my day. I polished off a bowl of pasta for dinner though and it was delicious.
- •Pace yourself.Around mile 3 a cute boy passed me and I tried to keep up with him but I couldn't because I didn't pace myself in the beginning. Times like these you have to remember to slow it down.