NOURISHING FOODS I EAT FOR GOOD GUT HEALTH
I have issues with acid reflux from time to time and always find that strengthening caring for my gut health keeps it at bay. Here are foods I eat to maintain good gut health.
- •Plain raw cow's milkThe natural bacteria in raw milk is great for the gut - healthy and healing. A glass of it is delicious and settles any reflux flare ups.
- •Green leafy vegetablesI always feel better after I've had some chard, collards, kale, and the like. I'll often sauté them with garlic and lemon juice. I love how they are packed with vitamins and minerals, too.
- •SauerkrautI'm not talking the stuff you find in vinegar but the traditionally prepared cabbage with a salt brine. This kind of kraut is lacto-fermented and is full of beneficial bacteria that strengthens gut health. I like to make small batches in mason jars; for me, a little goes a long way.
- •KombuchaAlso full of beneficial bacteria, this is something I like to drink to settle my stomach, especially if it has ginger in it. There are some brands out there that are called kombucha but aren't; they are a probiotic drink but not actually legit kombucha. That said, I will not say no to that drink but I prefer real kombucha, which, thankfully, I can find pretty easily here in NYC.
- •Kefir and yogurtYes, it's a two-fer! Both are cultured dairy and both are very tasty. And they are terrific for good gut health with their colonies of bacteria, kefir having a much broader range that yogurt. I prefer my kefir raw by there really isn't such a thing as raw yogurt.
- •BananasWhat can I say? They make my tummy happy and soothe it when it's upset. A combo of bananas and yogurt (add some turmeric, cardamom, and cinnamon, too) is a real winner.