Memorable Bad Dates
I have only had two relationships but I have had many bad dates.
- •Eighth Grade: went to a Tyler Perry movie with a "boyfriend" who did not like holding my hand. We were accompanied by his Mom, Dad, brothers, and his best friend. He still called it a date.I would later find out that he is very gay. No hard feelings.
- •Sophomore year of high school: agreed to go on a date with a classmate. On the day of the date I ran a 103 degree fever. Did not want to go see our schools extremely white version of Rent. He insisted. I had a terrible time and left him there while my mom picked me up.He told everyone in our gym class the next day that we had had sex and I was not only a slut, but a shitty one who couldn't have sex to save her life. Very hard feelings.
- •First year of college: went on one date with a security guard who saw me at the movie theater ticket booth and "liked my smile." 2 minutes into the date he described how his Polish family died in a fire and he was adopted by American parents at a young age. This was heartbreaking but I could not ignore the fact that we had nothing in common.Also he criticized the way I ate my burger. Like, damn dude.
- •Second year of college: went on a third date with a promising ginger dude who shared an interest in film and breakfast. He said, "we should do this again" and then never responded to my future texts.I know we met on Tinder and I shouldn't have cared, but I was actually a little heartbroken. I guess I should just be glad he didn't assault or catfish me.
- •Third year of college: six months into my first serious relationship my then boyfriend told me that he had not requested any days off work to see my family for Thanksgiving. I started crying in a fancy Indian restaurant. It was embarrassing. I told him that that was perfectly okay and made sense.It was the first moment I realized I had stopped being a priority in his life. We broke up three weeks later.
- •Now: I have never had a bad date with my current boyfriend. He makes me candles and baked goods and must be protected.Honestly I'm a little worried I might disappoint him.