A Few Facts About My Popa on the Day of His Funeral
My grandfather, Preston McLean md, died on December 18th in Bangor, ME, just two days after his 83rd birthday.
- •Today my family celebrated the life of this wonderful and adorable man.
- •When he was only 5 his family was in a head on collision that killed his father and grandfather.The accident also left his mother and sister in a coma. He was the only family member to attend the funeral of his father and grandfather. This tragic incident defined his early life and drove him to overcome poverty to become a doctor.
- •He delivered over 10,000 babies.He was an on/gyn for over 35 years and delivered over 10,000 babies including all of his grandchildren.
- •He and my grandmother were married for 63 years.They got married when he was 20 and she was 18. They had three children, 5 grandchildren, and 6 great grandchildren (so far).
- •When he was 50 he had his hip replaced and learned to rollerblade.He was always athletic and rollerbladed I. His basement for exercise well into his 70s.
- •When he found out he had cancer he was given 6 months to live. He lived for three more years.I always loved and admired my grandfather, but watching him live through cancer with grace, dignity, and a sense of humor cemented him as my hero. Even when he fell and broke his nose, he laugh it off and entertained the EMS Guys.