Snippets and sentences
A list of sentences I enjoy in books I read. These usually make me feel like I wish I wrote them.
- •But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.Shel Silverstein "Magic"
- •And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.Shel Silverstein "Colors"
- •Sometimes like the Barbie doll you need to give people something that's for them, not just something that makes you feel good giving it.Bridge to Terabithia
- •The inextinguishable longing for elsewheres.The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- •She was the kind of girlfriend God gives you young, so you'll know loss the rest of your life.The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- •She was forthright, she spoke freely, she was always spoiling for a fight, and yet she gave the impression of being an observer, a close watcher of people and words.Open City
- •"Any bullet from wherever it comes is shot at the mother first, not at the son who is killed." —Van LeFrom Morley Safer's Flashbacks: On Returning to Vietnam. The quote is attributed to Van Le, a former private in People's Army of Vietnam turned poet and novelist
- •We are all given one thing by which our lives are measured, one determination. Mine are the stories which can change or not change the world. It doesn't matter which as long as I continue to tell the stories."The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven