GRAD SCHOOL: MUSIC EDITION
I am graduating with my Master's degree this Saturday(!) and these are the albums that got me through hours of studying/anxiety over school.
- •Taylor Swift "1989"This is all I remember listening to my first semester. I had it on a constant repeat.
- •One Direction "Four"When I was still excited about school and anxiety had not taken hold of my life.
- •Vance Joy "Dream Your Life Away"I saw him in concert my second semester and started playing this album whenever I felt anxious or worried.
- •Sufjan Stevens "Carrie & Lowell"I saw him in concert at the end of my second semester. We had so many rainy days that spring, I just want to listen to this record and cry. Which I did, many times.
- •"The Last Five Years"My friend Rachel got me hooked on this musical and I played it on repeat for the first part of the summer.
- •The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"I have always been a Beach Boys fan but when I saw Love & Mercy I went crazy. Two solid months of just this album, over and over. Perfect soundtrack for the end of Summer.
- •Shakey Graves "And the War Came"I saw him in concert at the end of August and it was pure magic. This album got me through the first few weeks of my second fall semester when I had just started two jobs while going to school full time.
- •Carly Rae Jepsen "E•MO•TION"I was not a Carly Rae Jepsen fan until this album, and boy! This album powered me through the end of fall semester when I thought I was not going to survive my digital humanities and database management classes.
- •Troye Sivan "Blue Neighborhood"Looking back, I was feeling pretty depressed at the beginning of winter semester and this album made me feel.
- •Wet "Don't You"This album made me feel happy and I would play it on the good days of my last semester.
- •Yellow Ostrich "The Mistress"On repeat as I tried to stop the tide of anxiety that started to grip me my last semester. Whale!
- •"Hamilton"I didn't think I was going to make it through the last two months of school and actually graduate. There were days that I could not find the will or power to get out of bed. I felt absolutely helpless and my heart was full of dread every morning. Hamilton helped me. If I turned it on when I first got up, it gave me the will to go on with my day. It feels silly to say but this soundtrack made it possible for me to finish school.