FUNNY AND POIGNANT MIDDLE GRADE NOVELS THAT I LOVE
These are books I could read a hundred times each. Here's a great piece on humor in middle grade that captures what I love about authors like Christopher Paul Curtis: http://www.hbook.com/2012/05/choosing-books/no-joke-humor-and-culture-in-middle-grade-books/
- •BUD, NOT BUDDY by Christopher Paul CurtisAll of Christopher Paul Curtis's protagonists are unforgettable, none moreso than Newbery-worthy Bud Caldwell.
- •THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM--1963 by Christopher Paul CurtisI have read this book at least ten times.
- •OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA by Jennifer HolmMay Amelia is the best. Grandmother Patience is the WORST.
- •BETTER NATE THAN EVER by Tim FederleNate Foster reading sides at his Broadway audition is one of my favorite scenes ever.
- •ANNE OF GREEN GABLES by L.M. MontgomeryA recent reread. So much funnier than I remembered.
- •DIARY OF A WIMPY KID by Jeff KinneyPopular for a reason. *edited to note that DOAWK isn't what I'd call poignant, but still funny.