WHAT I WANTED TO BE GROWING UP, CHRONOLOGICALLY
I actually remember these
- •DoctorIn first grade, for back to school night, we had to make a paper doll version of ourselves dressed as "what we wanted to be when we grew up". I distinctly recall the yellow yarn hair, the white lab coat made of paper, and the name tag that said Dr. Melissa.
- •JudgeSpecifically, a Supreme Court Justice. Sandra Day O'Connor was someone I read about frequently on Microsoft Encarta. This phase continued through high school.
- •LawyerThen I started to realize that I'd have to put my time in as a lawyer before I ever got to be a judge. I was down with this idea through most of college, even though I majored in Spanish.
- •UndecidedI ended up with a liberal arts degree and no real direction in a post 9/11 job market. I started in Human Resources but after almost two years, the cubicle life was not for me.
- •ESL teacherWent back to graduate school to become an elementary ESL teacher. Ended up teaching Italian in high school...which led me down the path...
- •School leader/administratorYup. Supervisor, principal, etc. Right now I'm one of those and working on my Ed.D. So I'll be Dr. Melissa after all!