AIRPORT RESTAURANTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY GOOD....
Given that I spend a fat lot of time in airports around the world, I offer this as a public service to help ensure you are never stuck with eating at a Chili's in an airport again...if I can help it....
- •One Flew South; ATL E ConcourseI am biased, because Chefs Todd Richards and Duane Nutter cooked for a while here in Louisville, and because they have the most fantastic selection of bourbon rivaling some of the best cocktail lounges around. They have a wonderful wine list and amazing crafted cocktails. And the combination of incredibly fresh sushi (it is an airport, after all) and southern inspired dishes is absolutely amazing
- •Plum Bistro; DTW A Concourse, near the center.They have Zingermans coffee, pastries and sandwiches. Need I say more? OK, well, you can also pick up artisan made snack items and sweets for your flight. Trust me, they'll be better than anything you get on the plane
- •Tortas Frontera; ORD - several concoursesFrom Mexican food master Rick Bayless - those stuffed sandwiches called "tortas" with authentic and not-so-authentic ingredients. The breakfast torta I had with eggs, queso fresco, avocado, and rajas was the most amazing thing I'd eaten...and I really don't believe it was only because I was coming off a 15-hour flight from India
- •Dutch Kitchen & Bar - AMS - "Holland Avenue" near E Gates
- •Burgerville; PDX
- •Comptoir Libanais; LHR Terminal 4