12 MORE AMAZING FACTS FOR THE DAY AFTER NATIONAL TRIVIA DAY
"More" meaning "additional," not "more" meaning "better." We can't diminish yesterday's facts like that.
- •The German version of the term “Average Joe” is Otto Normalverbraucher, which translates to “Otto normal consumer.”
- •Officials at England’s Salisbury Cathedral had to remove a 20-foot-tall sculpture because patrons who were texting and walking kept bumping into it.
- •A $6 bottle of wine—La Moneda Reserva Malbec— was awarded Platinum Best in Show at the 2016 Decanter World Wine Awards.
- •Russian cosmonauts used to pack a shotgun in case they landed in Siberia and had to fend off bears.
- •If drivers adhere to the 45 mph speed limit on a stretch of Route 66 in New Mexico, the road’s rumble strips will play a rendition of “America the Beautiful.”
- •Bones found at Seymour Island indicate that, 37 to 40 million years ago, penguins stood at a formidable 6 feet tall and weighed 250 pounds.
- •Mad Max director George Miller also directed Babe: Pig in the City.
- •According to Academy rules, Oscar winners (or their heirs) can’t sell their statues unless they first offer it to the Academy for $1.
- •Queen Elizabeth II has had over 30 corgis in her lifetime.
- •The Telegraph calculated that adjusting for financial changes, Mr. Darcy from 'Pride and Prejudice' would be making about $18.7 million a year today.
- •The oldest socks that have been discovered date to between 250 and 420 CE and feature split toes— meaning they were likely worn with sandals.
- •Elvis Presley’s manager sold “I Hate Elvis” badges as a way to make money off of people who weren’t buying his merchandise.