Offbeat Holidays You Can Celebrate in August
Plenty of reasons to party this month.
- •AUGUST 1: GIRLFRIEND’S/GIRLFRIENDS DAYSome say this is a day for one's female significant other, while some call it a day for women to celebrate their female friendships. Either way, celebrate the ladies in your life on August 1.
- •AUGUST 1: RESPECT FOR PARENTS DAYWe have a feeling an unappreciated parent came up with this one.
- •AUGUST 6: NATIONAL MUSTARD DAYAny excuse to eat a hot dog—or three.
- •AUGUST 8: SNEAK SOME ZUCCHINI ONTO YOUR NEIGHBOR'S PORCH DAY/NIGHTNot a euphemism!
- •AUGUST 10: NATIONAL S’MORES DAYNo need to wait until the middle of August to get this party started. The holiday just means you should have extra.
- •AUGUST 13: MIDDLE CHILDREN’S DAY
- •AUGUST 15: NATIONAL RELAXATION DAYPreferably celebrated in a hammock, on a beach, or with a pooped pup.
- •AUGUST 16: JOE MILLER’S JOKE DAYJoe Miller was an 18th century English actor whose reputation for being serious was so well known, we now hold an offbeat joke-telling holiday in his honor.
- •AUGUST 16: NATIONAL ROLLER COASTER DAYThe amusement first took root in the U.S. as a means of distracting people from unsavory entertainments. More than 130 years later, it's still going strong.
- •AUGUST 18: BAD POETRY DAY
- •AUGUST 20: INTERNATIONAL GEOCACHING DAY
- •AUGUST 22: DOROTHY PARKER'S BIRTHDAYHer epitaph reads: “Excuse my dust.”
- •AUGUST 26: NATIONAL DOG DAYEvery day, really.