Things I read/listened to/cared about because of a boy (not all the same boy)
- •The Dark Tower series by Stephen KingIt changed the boy's life. He lent the first one to me and I proceeded to read all seven. This is not my usual genre of literature, but I don't regret reading them. I actually bawled & cursed Stephen King at two in the morning after the death of a certain character (no spoilers). I don't think there'll come in time when I'll ever re-read these, but the relationship with the books lasted longer than the relationship with the boy, so there's that
- •The Sandman series by Neil GaimanOnce again, not my usual type of reading material, but he lent me the first few and I ended up buying the whole series used on Amazon. I'm thankful to have been introduced to Gaiman. There are some lines that will always stay with me. What more could I ask for?
- •She Wants RevengeThis boy and I shared a love of music and he wanted me to give him my opinion of this group. I honestly don't think I was "hip" enough for them, but I gave them a shot. I never listened again after he got married and wasn't allowed to be my friend anymore
- •True North by Jim HarrisonThis book! A drunken night at my favorite dive bar led to my discovery of Jim Harrison. I had several shots & ended up talking to two guys until last call. I left with a bar receipt with four book suggestions & a phone number. I ended up reading all the books with varying degrees of enjoyment, but True North just got me. There are lines that speak things I never knew I wanted to express. There's a sequel, Returning to Earth, that is amazing as well. (I never saw the guy again)
- •HeavensHe discovered them and I just HAD to listen. Patent Pending is a good song. I don't remember a whole lot more from them, but in my particularly angsty moments I think of the lyric about "sharpening knives"