Conversations My Kids and I Had Today
My 9 year old son and my nearly-12-year old daughter chatted about these things today.
- •How to build a yacht in MinecraftHow big should it be? How many people will it sleep? Apparently it's harder than it looks.
- •How are there both volcanos and glaciers in Iceland?I have no idea, actually, but the 6th grader says that there is instability at two tectonic plates, and this explains the volcanoes.
- •PuffinsThey are so cute, aren't they?
- •Peregrine falconsWe were reading the latest issue of the Audobon magazine (hence the puffins) and there's a great article about a peregrine falcon that raised baby falcons in the window box of a Chicago apartment. But how many peregrine falcons are there? I have no idea. We never got around to looking this up.
- •The difference between a locally owned store and a franchiseThis conversation was prompted after a stop at a local ice cream shop. We all agreed that locally owned was better. But, as my son pointed out, you might make more money if you owned a bunch of franchises.
- •CubaTravel-worthy destination or no? The nearly-12-year old worries that she would feel too sad about the people living in poverty.
- •The monkeys on Animal JamThey really aren't very cute, but once you've bought one, you can only sell it for 50% of what you paid for it. You're stuck trying to dress it up with fancy hats and neck-wear.
- •Black mushrooms on treesIt's disgusting. Is it really a mushroom? Or just tree fungus? Why do some trees have it and others don't? Regardless, it's just gross.