WORDS I AM JUST NOW LEARNING HOW TO PRONOUNCE
One of the challenges of being an early and voracious reader is having a large vocabulary of words that you've never actually heard outside of your head. At 33, I'm still coming across words (mostly thanks to audiobooks) that I've been mispronouncing for years.
- •RiffleI've always pronounced this the same as rifle - and honestly, I think until recently I thought they were just the same word (and that the extra f was optional)?? In my defense, they have similarish meanings.
- •DourThis one I haven't been mispronouncing, but I wasn't aware there was more than one pronunciation. The first time I heard it pronounced the standard way in an audiobook I though the narrator was wrong. 😜
- •HotlyGuys, this one is horribly embarrassing. EVERYONE knows how to pronounce hotly. But I was inserting another 'L' before the t, making it both weird and largely unpronounceable. Why?? Who knows.
- •HalcyonI am clearly not super detail oriented when it comes to the order of letters inside words (see above). With halcyon, I switched the c and y in my head, making it hal-ee-kon instead.
- •How about you guys? Or am I the only one with this problem?