FAVORITE CHICAGO LITERATURE
- •Chicago: City on the MakeNelson Algren. It's a prose poem and also a love letter to the city. I read this whenever I'm feeling heartsick for Chicago.
- •The Man with the Golden ArmNelson Algren. North side of Chicago post WWII. Sexy and seedy. And Frank Sinatra is so good if you want to skip to the movie version.
- •The House on Mango StreetSandra Cisneros. A novel written in childlike vignettes and so powerful.
- •Coast of ChicagoStuart Dybek. A collection of short stories mostly about neighborhoods that are made up Eastern European immigrants.
- •Native SonRichard Wright. Duh. An all time perfect depression era novel.
- •The JungleUpton Sinclair. Stockyard city.
- •Sister CarrieTheodore Dreiser. Gonna be real honest here; I only got halfway through but I'm gonna try again.
- •WorkingStuds Terkel. Source material for one of my favorite musicals. A collection of interviews with the working class mostly out of Chicago.
- •Devil in the White CityErik Larson. Due for a reread before we see Leo in the movie.