Artists That Make Me Happy
- •Keith HaringWhat I admire most about Keith Haring was his focus on being an artist over an icon. One of my favorite quotes from his journals: Memorial Day 1977 "Art will never leave me and never should. So as I go into the next part of the trip I hope it will be more creative and more work involved and less talk and more doing, seeing, learning, being, loving, feeling, maybe less feeling, and just work my ass off, 'cause that, my friend, is where it's at!"
- •Miranda JulyI first discovered Miranda July while working in the non-fiction stacks at a library. It was my first job and I loved it. I got paid to read and put books away! We received donations from patrons and a bright yellow copy of "No One Belongs Here More Than You" piqued my interest. It is one of my favorite short story collections. Her style fascinates me because she remains unconventional and crisp.
- •Yayoi KusamaHer art is ethereal, fun and meditative. Her art evokes my inner child. She is one of a kind.
- •Bill CunninghamHis devotion to street style photography is captivating. He's a humble and brilliant man.
- •Francisco De GoyaBaroque art has a special place in my heart. Whenever I see Goya's work it makes me smile exceptionally wide.