Lydia Davis Quotes
Suggested reading: The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis. http://amzn.to/1I0JBQx
- •There seemed to be three choices: to give up trying to love anyone, to stop being selfish, or to learn to love a person while continuing to be selfish.
- •I feel I am buried alive under all these thoughts, though at the same time I feel compelled to lie still, since perhaps I am actually dead after all.
- •You see how circumstances are to blame. I am not really an odd person if I put more and more small pieces of shredded Kleenex in my ears and tie a scarf around my head: when I lived alone I had all the silence I needed.
- •If your eyeballs move, this means you're thinking, or about to start thinking. If you don't want to be thinking at this particular moment, try to keep your eyeballs still.
- •Emotion, said the monk, is like a storm: it stays for a while and then it goes.
- •I can talk for a long time only when it's about something boring.
- •No one is calling me. I can't check the answering machine because I have been here all this time. If I go out, someone may call while I'm out. Then I can check the answering machine when I come back in.
- •The word "fine" is the greatest abbreviation and obviously wrong.