Things I've Learned About My Dad on This Trip
I rarely spent time with my dad growing up because he was working all the time. I'm learning a lot about him. P.S. It feels detoxifying to be away from wifi/my phone for long stretches at a time
- •When he first arrived on American soil in 1980 he had two different pairs of shoes.
- •He made $3.50/hr at his first job.
- •In Vietnamese: "Mia, when I first saw a coffin in America I thought it was a chest to store clothes."
- •My mom was in awe of him. He asked, "Why is this woman calling me all the time?"
- •A lot of woman were in awe of him.
- •When he first met my mom's dad for the first time he said, "Who's that dude? Why does he look like that?"
- •He balanced raising three children while working 40-50 hour work weeks. A woman at work asked him, "Who's your babysitter?" His response, "I am."