HOW CHIPS BECOME POTATOES
Inspired by the Utz factory tour
- 1.First, the chips are shipped in from all of the world.These chips arrive packaged and in large, cardboard boxes.
- 2.Workers are hired by the dozen to unpackage these world-famous chips.Job description: must be able to open chip bags and empty contents onto large conveyer. Must also be able to deconstruct large cardboard crate boxes. Sense of humor not required. Excessive love of potatoes preferred.
- 3.The chips are then de-flavored.This process uses advanced technology was developed in the 50s for top-secret projects. These projects are undisclosed to the public at this time. The technique is complicated, but the results are delicious: BBQ and salt&vinegar-less chips.
- 4.Next, the salt is removed from the chipsThis process is similar to the de-flavoring process.
- 5.After being de-salted the chips must be uncrisped.What many do not know about chip chemistry is this: when heated to extreme temperatures identical to those of the Sun, chips will de-crisp completely. The bonds of crispiness are ripped apart and replaced with pliable ones. This results in soft sheets of potato.
- 6.Next the famous potato-shape is created.These moldable slices of potato are spun around in an metal vat. This creates a giant potato ball which is then divided and formed into what we recognizes potatoes to be.
- 7.The hardest step is adding the skinThousands of tiny people are hired to create custom-made potato skins. These workers then sew the potato skins onto the newly-formed potatoes.
- 8.The potatoes are shipped all over the worldAfter being bagged, these potatoes are shipped to many different grocery stores and farmer's markets. These are the potatoes we all know and love. Keep your eye out for one of our potatoes in a store near you!