BIRDS SEEN AT MY FEEDER TODAY
Missouri is a great place for bird-watching. Not only is STL on many migratory routes, there are some cool year-round residents. Here are birds I saw today (pics from the Cornell bird database)
- •Black-capped ChickadeeCute little birds, often the first to find new feeders (as they were at my house)
- •Northern Cardinal (male)Gorgeous and still really cool to see
- •Northern Cardinal (female)I'll admit - I have a soft spot for the females. While not as striking as the bright red males, they are beautiful and elegant birds.
- •Red-bellied WoodpeckerYes, Woody the Woodpecker
- •Carolina WrenThese birds build really cool cave-like nests.
- •Tufted TitmouseThese birds have a cool crest on their head
- •Dark-eyed JuncoThese guys hang out in groups on the ground and clean up all the bits the other birds toss out of the feeders
- •Downy WoodpeckerStriking black and white bird, relatively small. One of the first birds I identified after moving here.
- •Blue JayLoud and bossy
- •House FinchThe finches I saw had slightly less red, but still interesting
- •White-breasted NuthatchLooks like the Tufted Titmouse, but no crest
- •SquirrelFound this guy hanging off my feeder. Quickly added the squirrel sleeve I hadn't installed yet. We'll see how long it takes him to get around the deterrent.