The real story of Thunder the mascot
- •Sadiki Fuller, an aspiring mascot, heard thru a friend (the Houston Rockets mascot), the Warriors were hiring
- •It was 1997. The Warriors had just let go of a short-lived mascot Berseker, who was not just unpopular but parts of his costume (rumor has it) were actually made of asbestos type material
- •The Warriors named him ThunderBolt - and he became part of the logo
- •One week after he was hired, the team's best player, Latrell Sprewell choked the head coach PJ Carlesimo at practice - Sprewell never played as a Warrior again
- •Fuller knew he had to build excitement
- •He decided it would be a great idea to go into the bank that was in the Warriors' HQ downtown, and that's what he did, in full costume. He said "This is a stickup!"
- •Then he said "Go Warriors!" and cartwheeled out. "I didn't go to jail," he said "they just told me never to do that again."
- •He stayed there for 5 years - the team never made the playoffs or had an all star player. "Those were the best years of my life"