My Typewriter Collection
- 1.40's Remington Model 5 (matte)No. 1 because she was my first. I bought her in NY for a song. She's traveled across the country with me and I've written so many poems on her. She knows all my secrets.
- 2.40's Royal Quiet De LuxeI just got this one. I won it in a contest on the Internet. I haven't written on it yet so I don't know it's gender, but he looks pretty masculine to me. He stands tall and fierce with shiny keys and wet ink. I think he'll be trouble.
- 3.'48 Hermes 2000My best friend found him hanging out with the garbage on a sidewalk in Brooklyn. He's originally from Germany. I would have affairs with him every time I visited her apt. He spoke English but never really understood what I was saying. When my friend decided to pack up and move to Ireland, she gave him to me. Said he loved me more anyway.
- 4.50's Olivetti Lettera 22He once belonged to a Hollywood socialite who's name has worn off his case. After she passed, I went to her home and he was sitting there alone in the study. She would write with him until she got sick and could write no more. His ribbon had fresh ink and he had more to say, so I brought him home with me. He's a loyal companion. Doesn't ask for anything. Is thankful when we play.
- 5.60's IBM SelectricShe's an old heavy Bessie. She just sits there on the floor looking pretty. She doesn't work so well and she may soon have to go wherever typewriters go when that happens. Until then she holds the books up that overflow from the shelf beside her.
- 6.40's Corona SterlingShe's the orphan I let stay. I used her once or twice, but we haven't warmed up to each other yet. She looks a bit like No. 1. Maybe that's why. Eventually we'll figure it out. In the meantime she hangs out at the office. She likes it there.