MAYBE I'M GETTING OLD
Tonight we went to the Christmas Eve service at my family's church. Everyone around us was on our phones the whole time, and I could not pay attention. I felt like such a crotchety old lady because I just wanted to shake my finger at them and say "Shame on you!"
- •The boys age 5-15 behind us were rough housing the entire service
- •The 21/22 year old girls in front of us were on their phones texting and on Instagram and snap chatting the entire time.Seriously. Not only did they make like ten snapchat videos, but they were watching other videos!
- •I was so distracted the entire time.
- •It took a lot of mental strength to not put on my teacher voice and scold all of them.But really, I should have.
- •When I go somewhere, I want to be fully present. I want to experience it all.Yes, it's Christmas. We all know how the story ends.
- •Even if this is my 25th time going to the same Christmas Eve service, and it's basically the same every year, I keep going because every year I discover something new.There's a nice poem or a new perspective, or even just a cute outfit.
- •If you are on your phone you miss it.The girls in front of me might know exactly what is happening, but not really. They are not totally present.
- •I see this a lot with my students.They think they already know everything, and live entirely in their phones. But they don't know everything, and they are totally unaware of what is happening right in front of them.
- •So my Christmas wish for all of you is to be present.Experience all that life has to offer.
- •Live your life fully and pay attention to what is happening around you.You may be surprised... In fact, you will almost definitely be surprised! Life is full of surprises!
- •Then go home and make a list about it!There is a time and a place for everything. There is a time to list, and a time to snapchat, and a time to put your phone away and live your life. (Actually, I don't get snapchat. In my head, snapchat is where people do bad things and get away with it. I think snapchat should disappear.)