ROM-COM MEN WHO RUINED MY EXPECTATIONS OF RELATIONSHIPS
Because there's always that one guy from that one movie that still makes you swoon 💞 Open to more suggestions because I know I'm missing a lot! 💌
- •Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger) in 10 Things I Hate About YouHeath Ledger. I mean COME ON WITH THAT SMILE. 😍 He led me to believe the quintessential bad boy would fall head over heels for me and do a musical number in a stadium while running from (school?) police. He made me believe guys would think of creative dates ie. paintball fight or go see a band I actually like. I also believed the "bad boy" would save me from getting filthy drunk and still be a nice guy by taking me home and not taking advantage of me in that incoherent state of mind. SWOON. 💕
- •Sam Coulson (Michael Vartan) in Never Been KissedEveryone had that one hot teacher and Mr. Coulson reminds me of the one from my high school. This character gave me hope that there are still men out there who enjoy literature, are compassionate and intelligent. He was always willing to help Josie. Plus, what a grand gesture it was to vulnerably stand on a baseball mound waiting and hoping he would come to kiss you!
- •Nick Mercer (Dermot Mulroney) in The Wedding DateMy fantasy version of a man, despite the fact that he is a hooker. He was all about the feeling and emotion of the woman he was escorting... Not necessarily the physical attraction. His line at the end of the movie: "I'd rather fight with you than make love to anyone else."
- •Jake Ryan (Michael Schoeffling) in Sixteen CandlesI realize now maybe I just really want someone to pronounce their love for me in a grand gesture. This movie resonated with me for longer than I thought it would. The nerdy guy was in love with her, while she was in love with the popular guy. Pretty much me all of high school. But no one can deny how much they wanted the popular guy to be waiting in front of their car to say "Yeah, you" and make them a birthday cake surrounded by candles 🚗🎂
- •Josh (Paul Rudd) in CluelessMy first glimpse into borderline incest, but they were step siblings so it's okay...? His sly glances and remarks were 😍. He was intelligent and older. He actually reads books! Basically what I've been attracted to since youth. He saw through Cher on a deeper level and made me realize that maybe nice guys don't always finish last.
- •Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) in Say AnythingI mean, this one is obvious. Every time I hear Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" I get misty eyed. He made me hope there was someone out there willing to have the courage to ask me out, especially in high school. He was persistent. Plus, I still love getting mixtapes from people because it genuinely shows the amount of effort and thought a simple gift like that took.
- •Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) in Pride and PrejudiceHe made me believe that maybe first impressions aren't always right, which is also probably why I'm single. That hand grab. They way he professes his love in the pouring rain. The way he tries to right all his wrongs. The way they meet in the morning mist. He says "You have bewitched me mind, body, and soul." and I turn into a blubbering mess.