BOOKS TO READ IN PREPARATION OF MAKING A MOVIE
Whether you're an actor, writer, director, editor, or producer.
- •Making Movies by Sidney LumetMaybe the best moment to moment account of what directing a movie is actually like.
- •Cut To The Chase by Sam O'SteenOne of the best editors ever shares gossip and insight of more than a few masterpieces.
- •Kazan On Directing by Elia KazanThe master of directing actors.
- •Conversations With Scorcese by Richard SchickelScorcese has always been articulate about his movies, but this focuses him from project to project.
- •Conversations With Wilder by Cameron CroweIt's like watching a Cameron Crowe movie about Billy Wilder.
- •Intent To Live by Larry MossBy far the best book about acting and being an actor.
- •My First Movie: 20 Celebrated Directors Talk About Their First Film edited by Stephen LowensteinExtremely encouraging.
- •The Playboy Interview series. Particularly, The Directors by Alex Haley.My personal favorite. Hundreds of shared insights from usually very low key and enigmatic artists.
- •When the Shooting Stops... The Cutting Begins by Ralph RosenblumParticularly the chapters on editing "Take the Money and Run" and "Annie Hall"Suggested by @samboyd