I'd be curious as to what the most common type of list is. But just based on my personal experience of almost two months of listing, here's my observation of the different variations of lists.
- •Pop-culture/EntertainmentI think this would be the most common type of list and the easiest point of entry for the new lister. If you ever have a dry spell where you can't come up with something clever or witty enough, social commentary is a great go-to. Music, movies, books, clothes, recent restaurant trends. Take a peek at @samboyd for these. He's a hip little man who likes to dabble in this variety.
- •Informative/EducationalMy personal favorite type of list. Usually indicative of the listers educational background and/or their profession. @ouizoid nails these.
- •AutobiographicalI suppose they're all autobiographical, but this is specific to what's happened in the lister's life. I like messing with this list variation a lot.
- •Non-fiction narrativeThe most writerly of the list types. Creativity and actual skill shines through in these. Be careful, this is @zoe territory and she will fuck you up if you mess with her.
- •FoodieCooking recipes, tips, general appreciation. @gabimoskowitz is our main point of reference here.
- •Self-degradingAll done in good nature, but this is a real firing ground of humor and ingenuity. Always trends well because people appreciate when people have a sense of humor about themselves. There are a lot of lister's who function highly here, but none better or more effectively than @lenadunham.
- •One-linersThis is sassy listing. When an entire list is manifested to make a singular point. Point taken.
- •PetsI mean, I don't think anyone can go wrong here. It doesn't even needs to be yours. Just a cute picture (preferably more than one). Always trends hugely.
- •IntinerariesDay to day, hour to hour, minute to minute guide into someone's life. I like these. Really paints a picture.
- •InventoriesWhat a lister is packing, what they have in their refrigerator, etc. Again, helps us get to know who we're dealing with here.
- •Lists about listsCheeky.