FAVORITE ROMANTIC COMEDIES
An Annie Hall-less list, for originality reasons. Suggested by BJ.
- •Bridget Jones' DiaryA movie as good as the book, and in some ways even better because Hugh Grant and Colin Firth were better than the Daniel Cleaver and Mark Darcy of your mind
- •You've Got MailThis is not a guilty pleasure! As Quentin Tarantino said, there are no guilty pleasures, only pleasures. F.O.X.
- •The American PresidentMichael J Fox and Anna Deavere Smith chatting at craft services! Aaron Sorkin at video village in a baseball cap! Annette Bening in black leggings! Picturing the on-set dynamic of this movie is almost as fun as actually seeing it!
- •The Princess BridePage for page the best written romantic comedy script, in my opinion
- •The ApartmentClassic. Structurally perfecto. Amazing callbacks. Shirley MacLaine's glorious pixie bob. Jack Lemmon straining spaghetti in a tennis racket!
- •A League Of their OwnThe only bad part was that Tom and Geena didn't hook up. What are you gonna do.
- •The HolidayGlorious chemistry between Kate Winslet and Jack Black. I love a story built around temporary subletting.
- •Strictly BallroomReal weird and so good. Gets you primed for Silver linings Playbook.
- •Silver linings PlaybookI don't care if you have a real bad mental illness, Bradley Cooper, I'll dance with you. Beautifully written.