How Execs "Pass" on Your Screenplay
People in Hollywood feel like they have to sugarcoat rejection, so here's how to decode what they're saying.
- •"It was well-written."I hated it.
- •"There are definitely some beautiful and/or engaging moments here."This script is garbage.
- •"The first act is strong."The rest of it is atrocious.
- •"It's not for us."Good luck peddling that around town.
- •"You have a way with words."We will never hire you in a million years.
- •"It's indie."It'll never get made because it's not commercial.
- •"It's commercial."This is a really bad screenplay.
- •"We should work together."I never want to see you again.
- •"Let's find a project for us to collaborate on."Never e-mail/write me ever again.
- •"Here's my business card."Don't ever actually use this.
- •"Don't forget your validation."Don't let the door hit you on your way out.