Cool Things About BEA/BookCon This Week
Just finished up a week working the Chronicle Books booth at Book Expo America/BookCon in Chicago and now sitting on my hotel bed, feet propped up, reflecting.
- •The Tiny Cat photo blowup was a popular attractionFrom our book, Tiny Cat.
- •People were/are still excited about books.Printed books have been around for over 500 years and people still dig them.
- •Teen girls rushing the line squealing...over BOOKS, people!When they opened the public portion (BookCon) on Saturday I saw dozens of giddy teens rushing in to see gosh knows what...just excited that it was all book-related.
- •Meeting up with several media folks who cover books and are excited about them.Radio, TV, magazines, web. Books & authors provide much content that makes its way into these outlets.
- •Chicago is awesomeAlready knew it, but what a breath of fresh air to get out of Javitz and the same-old-mindset of "another BEA." Also opened up the event to a new audience of book lovers from the Midwest.
- •Tote bag successOnce again, the Chronicle Books tote bag was highly desirable and deemed "the best bag at the show" by many happy customers.
- •The Gilda tattoo I sawPut the blame on Mame, indeed. He also had an Anita Ekberg/Dolce Vita tattoo. My kind of person.