What the Heck Can You Do in Santa Clara? a List for Super Bowl Attendees
Levi's Stadium may be for the "San Francisco" Forty-Niners, but it's really 45 miles south of the city, in Santa Clara. If you find yourself in the area for the Super Bowl and wondering what to do, here are a few ideas. Feel free to make suggestions.
- •Winchester Mystery HouseAbout 7 miles south of stadium. 525 Winchester Blvd. San Jose. This odd mansion has been featured on countless TV shows. It was built by the paranoid widow of gun magnate William W. Winchester. She was obsessed with numerology and avoiding what her psychic told her were the spirits of those who died at the hands of Winchester guns. It caused her to build a home meant to confuse the spirits, and probably the staff.
- •Intel MuseumWithin walking distance of the stadium. 2220 Mission College Blvd. Santa Clara. A museum dedicated to the technology that made Silicon Valley.
- •South Bay Historical Railroad Society5 miles away. 1006 Railroad Ave. Santa Clara (at the Santa Clara CalTrain stop) A small museum to preserve local rail heritage. Has two operational HO and N scale model railroad layouts which are quite cool. Only open Tuesdays & Saturdays.
- •NFL Hall of Game exhibit at Triton Art Museum6 miles away. 1505 Warburton Ave. Santa Clara "Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame" has hundreds of artifacts from the hall of fame. On the beautiful Santa Clara University campus. http://www.tritonmuseum.org/exhibitions_gridiron.php
- •Santana Row6 miles away. 377 Santana Row, San Jose. Upscale shopping mall that appears to be made like an adult Disneyland. Plenty of restaurants, an art house movie theater, and stores. Across the street is Valley Fair, a big mall with a variety of standard shops. http://www.santanarow.com
- •Vahl's Restaurant3 miles north. 1513 El Dorado St, Alviso. A restaurant & bar that hasn't changed in decades, located in a small ghost town on the edge of the bay. Food is OK, service good. They have karaoke with a live band that specializes in old standards. A great place for senior citizens of those that appreciate a unique, quirky location.
- •Ike's Sandwiches6 miles away. 2235 The Alameda, Santa Clara. Big, tasty sandwiches that can accommodate a range of dietary considerations. Usually a line...for good reason. http://ilikeikesplace.com/santa-clara