ROMANTIC COMEDIES I DIDN'T IMMEDIATELY WANT TO SCOFF AT
- •TrainwreckJust so funny and sweet. I want Bill Hader to play all romantic leads from now on.
- •BridesmaidsReally, though- who DIDN'T like this movie? Kristen Wiig and Chris O'Dowd had unstoppable chemistry, but the romance was secondary to how insanely funny this movie was.
- •Before Sunrise/Sunset/MidnightJesse and Celine's relationship is romantic without being cheesy, but also incredibly poignant. Kudos to Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy for creating characters with such depth and effortless chemistry.
- •Obvious ChildJenny Slate was just so perfect in this movie. This was technically a romantic comedy, right?
- •When Harry Met SallyArguably the gold standard in romantic comedies due to sharp writing and strong chemistry, it basically created a formula for every romantic comedy since (and it is v effective when done right).
- •What IfAn underrated movie from last summer starring Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. It follows the predictable rom com formula, but it was well-acted and the dialogue was genuine and funny.