At a Loss
My husband and I had a huge fight. I need male and female perspective please.
- •Last year I bought my one year old son a play vacuum.I did this because he liked to play with my big one, and he still loves it. Every time I vacuum so does he.
- •At Christmas I bought him a play kitchen.This was because when we go play at the library it's all he plays with. He wound up not caring for the one I got.
- •The vacuum caused a lot of strife in my house.Hubby thought he was playing with a girl toy and I was trying to girl him up.
- •Note that I also bought a ton of "boy" toys as well.I pick things he would like, I am not concerned with the boy/girl thing.
- •So a few times over the last year we've argued about the damned vacuum.Exhausting.
- •Today, I come home from my internship.I'm in a Master's of Counseling program. I have learned quite a bit about children and gender. I also have raised 4 other kids with this man.
- •He tells me that when his douchey, trouble stirring cousin came over yesterday he said stuff that made him think.This guy asked my two year old if he was a girl because he played with a vacuum. What kind of antiquated thinking is this?
- •My son said yes when asked if he was a girl.He would likely say yes if I asked him if he was a butterfly too, he is TWO!
- •So then we get into a huge tiff about what the big damn deal is.My husband says I am gender confusing him and society will think this and that.
- •I said FUCK society, who cares.The only person who is making him feel he is doing something wrong is my husband in my opinion.
- •I would also like to state the kitchen is gone.Because he didn't play with it, not because it's "girly"
- •His favorite toys are his Batman and his giraffe that says a prayer.Not his fucking vacuum.
- •Even if that vacuum was who gives a shit?Next year he will like something else. He is two so who cares.
- •We are not speaking. He called me Hillary and said he can see that I am all "I am woman, hear me roar".I wonder if that shot was necessary.
- •I said he was being a sexist ass.Just my opinion because otherwise why would we be arguing?
- •Research has shown that it is no big deal for kids to play with a mix of toy types.Of course he thinks I know nothing, degree be damned!
- •Anyhow, am I totally off base here?I don't think I am, but maybe I need perspective.