One Childhood Memory I Would Go Back and Relive
Summers With My Sister
- •My sister is 14 years older than me. She was in her 20's and married when I was a kid.
- •She and her husband lived in Arkansas , and I live in Oklahoma. My mom was super strict, but somehow my sister convinced her to let me stay the summer with her.
- •It was nice to go somewhere where I wasn't considered a little adult all the time. I could play, get dirty, and be silly without repercussion.
- •There are so many stories from that time.
- •My sister still loves to tease me about how afraid of snakes I was/am. She lived way out in the country, there were LOTS of snakes.
- •She was mean, chasing me around her house with a dead snake on a broom!
- •The thing is... as soon as I saw a snake I would go in the house and not come back out. Inside there wasn't much to do.
- •I think this is how I cultivated my love of music, reading, and writing.
- •I would sit around listening to records, and think. I still think a lot.
- •Other fun aspects where swimming in creeks, picking blackberries, and working in her garden.
- •The best part of all was spending time with my sister. I idolized her then and I still do.
- •It's amazing to have a sister at all. There is always someone to talk to, to lift me up, to listen to me cry.
- •Her being so much older was problematic at first, she was more like another mother than a sister.
- •As we both got older things changed, and I learned that she is full of expertise and wisdom. She is funny and we have so much in common.
- •All these memories of my sister start with me going to her house as a child.
- •Those are the moments I'd relive over and over.