RECENT VINYL PURCHASES
October 17th marked the 2nd annual Rockford Record Crawl in Rockford, IL. I hit up four local shops and walked away with some great wax.
- •The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting FlameAfter hearing this group, John Maclaughlin is easily one of my favorite guitarists of all time. This album blazes the trail for jazz fusion as he executes blistering licks in a seemingly effortless fashion.
- •Santana - Santana IIIMost people will stop at Abraxas, but holy hell, this album shreds from start to finish. It deserves more recognition and may be my new favorite by Santana.
- •Frank Zappa & the Mothers - Fillmore East 1971My last Mothers purchase before this one was Roxy & Elsewhere, which is extremely tough to beat. However, this album is no disappointment as the musicality is still top drawer per usual FZ.
- •Bootsy Collins - Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber BandA quintessential album of the P-Funk family and a master class in keeping it 'on the one.'
- •Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from My FriendsThe Englishmen came on strong with this debut featuring the likes of Jimmy Page and Steve Winwood.
- •Django Reinhardt - Djangologie 9A Django record has been on my to-do list for a while. The interplay between him and violinist Stephane Grapelli is special, making it no wonder how these two turned the world on its head with their gypsy swing.
- •B.T. Express - Do It ('Til You're Satisfied)Still warming up to this album as a whole, but the irresistible funk of the title track was enough for me to make the purchase.