THOUGHTS I HAD AS MY 3-YEAR-OLD WALKED AWAY FROM ME, FAR DOWN THE STREET, DURING A TEMPER TANTRUM
- •"Wow, impressive!"She's so brave. That's my girl! She doesn't even care as she storms off that I'm standing out of sight, 40 meters away, in front of our apt building. The invisible leash is long with this one.
- •"Gosh, she really means it."I still don't get why she doesn't want to come home, but dang it, she's sticking to her guns.
- •"Ugh this is so annoying."It has taken us 35 minutes to get home from a place 200 meters down the street. Now we are *this close* and she runs away. Sigh.
- •"I am such a patient, wonderful mother."We've got nowhere to be. Let's do this.
- •"Okay I'm a bit freaked out now."She REALLY isn't perturbed that she is so far from me. Should we have instilled a bit more fear of the unknown in her?
- •"I'm totally making this up as I go."I think most parents are.
- •"Okay I'm done."The time for subtlety had come and gone -- I just chased her down the street (while carrying my sleeping infant son), carried her upstairs like a sack of potatoes, then locked us in our apartment. I hope the neighbours enjoyed the show! 😓😝😇