11 Quite-sexy Vegetable Dishes
All easy. Amounts flexible. Tasty times!🍴🌿🌾
- •Cheese-Crusted Roasted Cauliflower400 oven. 2-lb cauliflower in bite-sized florets. Distribute on oil-slicked tray w 2 cups minced onion. Roast 15 min, shake to redistribute, then roast 10 more min. Sprinkle w 1/4 cup grated fontina, cheddar or Parmesan. 5-10 min more till golden-crusted. 4-ish servings.
- •Brown Butter-Coated Brussels Sprouts w HazelnutsBlanch & dry 1lb halved B sprouts. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in large skillet, medium heat. When it begins to brown, add sprouts cut side-down. Cook undisturbed until golden (10 or more min). Flip to cook briefly on other side, s&p. Serve sprinkle w 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts + lemon wedges. 2-3 servings.
- •Lime-Juiced Sweet PotatoesMash cooked sweet potatoes w a lot of fresh lime juice instead of adding butter. S&P and that's really it. Sparkly!
- •Sizzling Chili-Sesame-Garlic Green BeansStir-fry 1lb. green beans in very hot pan w 2 Tbs toasted sesame oil. After 2 min. Add 1 Tbs minced garlic + some crushed red pepper. Keep going (high heat) another min or so until shiny and tender-crisp. Makes up to 4 servings.
- •Broccoli w Roasted Garlic & Toasted WalnutsRoast a whole bulb of garlic (top of head sliced off; a little olive oil drizzled on) 375, 30-40 min or until soft. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out the cooked cloves. (It will be sticky.) Stir-fry 1 lb. broccoli w s&p until tender-crisp, stir in cloves at end. Top w handful or two toasted walnut halves; serve (3-4) w lemon wedges.
- •Mashed Sweet Green Peas w CreamMelt 1 Tbs butter in large skillet, add 3-4 chopped scallions 5 min, medium heat. Add 1lb. frozen peas and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir/cover/cook 8-10 min till soft. Purée in food processor w 2 Tbs cream, black pepper, more salt to taste. Eat w spoon/3-4 servings
- •Asparagus Puff Pastry Tart3 ingredients! Trim/blanch/dry 1 1/2 lbs asparagus. Preheat oven to 400. Place defrosted 8-inch (1/16 inch-thick) store bought puff pastry on ungreased tray; sprinkle pastry w 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Parmesan. Arrange single layer of asparagus in tight row, touching; sprinkle w another 1/2 c cheese. Bake 15 minutes in lower half of oven - till golden. Serves 4-5.
- •Pomegranate-Glazed Squash CirclesCut unpeeled acorn squash crosswise into 1/2-inch circles. (Scrape away seeds as you cut.) Bake on oiled tray in 375 oven till tender (15-20 min). Serve hot or warm, drizzled w pomegranate molasses (available in Mediterranean-themed groceries). 2 servings per medium squash.
- •Smoky Mashed Eggplant w Caramelized OnionsBake (400) or grill (hot coals) 2 lbs unpeeled eggplant until soft(30-45 min). Meanwhile, cook 3 cups minced onion w 1/2 tsp salt & 1 tsp minced garlic in 2 Tbs olive oil - Medium heat15 min. Cool eggplants till ok to handle, then peel. Purée everything w 1tsp lemon juice, s&p, red pepper flakes. Serve warm (4)
- •Charred Sweet PeppersRoast whole sweet peppers (1 large per person) 425 oven or hot coals or broiler till blackened and soft.cool in plate-covered bowl till comfortable to handle. (Delicious juices will pool - save them for soup or sauce or just drink them.) Peel and seed peppers; slice, enjoy greatly - straight up, or as a crowning touch for these other dishes 👑
- •Wilted Kale w Fresh Cheese & AlmondsCoarsely chop 1 lb kale (stemming optional). Cook in hot, oil-slicked pan over medium heat w big pinch of salt 3-5 min (till wilted). Stir in 1 tsp minced garlic, cook a minute longer. Toss in 1/2 cup diced feta, ricotta salata, or queso blanco. Serve (2-3) hot, topped w handful of toasted almonds.