A Delicious/Refreshing Thing I Accidentally Discovered
Sometimes the least-planned things quietly turn out to be the best.
- •Bought a couple of perfect (and perfectly ripe) heirloom tomatoes at the farmers' market.
- •Decided to freeze them so I could observe how they hold up frozen/defrosted - and to see what uses I might recommend.Just zipped them into a heavy gauge plastic bag, sealed, froze.
- •Next day, transferred to a bowl to defrost in the refrigerator.
- •A few hours later, noted a moat of clear liquid pooling around them in the bowl as they thawed.
- •Was about to pour off and discard the liquid, but decided to take a sip first.
- •Now I serve "tomato water" in chilled stemware as an aperitif to all my friends.I didn't think they could love me more, but apparently they could.
- •You can press the defrosted tomatoes through a strainer to extract more tomato-ness and to ⬆️volume.
- •You can also steep in a basil leaf, just by letting it sit there for awhile.Lovely and subtle.
- •Bonus: A splash of vodka might find a home here.Especially if you store your bottle in the freezer...