Counterintuitive Diet Advice, Part 3: Eat Between Meals
Fainting from hunger is not a weight loss plan. Plus if you eat too little, your metabolism slows down, switching to Famine in the Land survival mode. Stay stoked, people. And keep seriously hydrated.
- •Have an apple. Have 2. 🍎🍏Switch them up. Slices are nice. Great weight loss food!
- •🍉🍐🍑🍇🍒🍓🍍🍈Other fruit is most welcome. Most of us don't eat enough of it anyway. Portion control: snack amount = what you can hold in your cupped hands.
- •Vegetable sticks.Carrots, celery, sweet peppers, sugar snap peas, green beans, jicama, fennel. Bring a ziplock bag of these w you to work. Keep chilled. Munch at 2 pm.
- •Nuts.1/4 cup roasted, low-salt. Eat slowly per Counterintuitive Diet Advice, Part 2.
- •Dark chocolate.Late afternoon. 70% (or higher) cacao. 1-2 ounces. Eat it very slowly! Your entire being will give you a standing O.
- •String cheese (1 unit) plus a big handful (or 3) of cherry tomatoes.
- •Cucumber-mint-lemon water.Keep a large pitcher of water in the refrigerator, and plunk in a few cucumber slices and/or a large handful of fresh mint and/or lemon halves. Gets stronger as it sits. Imbibe freely.
- •Strawberry water.🍓🍓🍓Another pitcher of water; throw in a few whole strawberries - or the tops from strawberries you hulled for another purpose. Almost-instant infusion; almost-instant addiction of the most positive kind.
- •Green tea. 🌿Have a cup or two within an hour of (pre) dinner, it will take the edge off nicely and help you eat less.
- •Vegetable broth or miso soup.Again, shortly before dinner (nice to sip while cooking). Same idea as green tea; takes edge off greatly.
- •Legume nibbles.1/2 cup chickpeas, eaten one at a time, is a nice little snack. Gives your mouth something to do at 3 pm. Make it a meditation.
- •Important note:Most of us don't hydrate nearly enough, and we tend to construe our thirst as hunger. So we try to quench through eating, but it never works. Rule of thumb: drink first, then wait a bit, then see if you're still hungry. If you are, healthy snack time - go for the above.
- •@gabimoskowitz @eatthelove @seantimberlake @amybsherman I'm sure you'll have snack wisdom to add...🌽🍆🍠🍇 xo
- •I'm a big fan of popcorn which can be flavored so many ways. Also endive with white bean purée makes a satisfying snack.Suggested by @amybsherman
- •These seed crackers with a piece of buffalo mozzarella! http://bit.ly/1zC6ZnJSuggested by @gabimoskowitz
- •Root ChipsAlice carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips on a mandolin, lightly oil and bake to make root chips! Or kale chipsSuggested by @Mel
- •Shelled pistachiosYou mention nuts but there's something really satisfying about shelling the pistachios and eating them. You can eat less of them because it takes more work to get to the meat as well.Suggested by @eatthelove
- •Egg, soft boiled, hard boiled, teaI usually have a batch of soft boiled eggs in the fridge and when I'm feeling productive, I make a batch of tea eggs as well (or my awesome mom makes some for me). Peeling one and eating an egg is a nice little break from work and the protein fills me up. I usually stick them in a warm bowl or mug of water to cut the chill from the fridge.Suggested by @eatthelove