Almonds, coconut, chocolate. Raspberry jam. Easy, especially w food processor. Can make several days ahead. Except I did that and we have already eaten it all. So maybe make two.
- •Separate 6 large eggs - yolks in smaller bowl; whites in large one.Do this at least an hour ahead, so the eggs can come to room temp.
- •Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan w nonstick spray.
- •In food processor (or in blender, in batches): 1 cup blanched almonds + 1/2 cup sugar.Buzz for a couple of minutes, until almonds are mostly broken down.
- •Add 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips.Process until consistency of a coarse meal, like polenta.
- •Add 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest.Buzz another couple of minutes until uniformly blended.
- •Beat the egg whites into they form soft peaks.Use a handheld electric mixer or a strong whisk.
- •Beat yolks for a minute or so, until shiny, smooth, and light lemony yellow.No need to clean beaters or whisk between steps 6 and 7.
- •Scrape yolks onto whites, fold in.Use rubber spatula. Turning motion, cutting through and lifting puffy whites from bottom, gently combining.
- •Sprinkle dry mixture over the top, then fold in.Same action until mostly uniform. It doesn't need to be perfect.
- •Turn into prepared pan, bake about 20 minutes in center of oven.It's done when the top is lightly golden and mounded, and top surface springs back when lightly touched.
- •Cool in pan until room temp.
- •Remove rim of pan, place cake on lovely plate, spread top w raspberry preserves (about 1/3 cup).If you need to store the cake, hold off on the jam for now. Wrap cake tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready.
- •Chag pesach sameach!