When Life Hands You Lemons
- •Get vodka.I liter, 100 proof. Pour into large (1/2-gallon) clean jar.
- •Use a vegetable peeler to strip zest from 8 lemons.Organic lemons = best. Otherwise, scrub. Don't go too deep; yellow part of zest only.
- •Add the peeled zest to the vodka.
- •Juice the zested lemons.Freeze the juice in ice cube trays, then transfer to freezer bag so you will have perky lemon ice cubes, You are now done w the lemons.
- •Cover the jar and let it sit in a cool, dark place.A back corner of a cupboard, for example. Minimum 10 days, but can be as long as a month. No need to stir.
- •Make and add a simple syrup.Add 3 cups water to 2 1/2 cups sugar in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until dissolved (5 or so minutes). Cool to room temp.
- •Add syrup to steeped vodka.Stir, cover, and back to the cupboard for another week.
- •Strain into a bottle or two, and refrigerate or freeze.
- •Limoncello!Serve straight, or w the perky lemon ice cubes from a month ago. (They're also great in lemonade or ice tea.)