MY EARLIEST MEMORIES OF MUSIC IN OUR FAMILY
Thank you for this request, @lilydiamond! I have been around music since emerging from the womb! (Literally! A recording of my dad playing Mozart's clarinet concerto was playing in the delivery room 🎶👶)
- •Sitting on the kitchen floor and playing my mom's pots and pans with whisks and spoonsI was destined to become a percussionist
- •My dad playing the Sesame Street song on his clarinetHe is in the Chicago Symphony and also likes playing a bunch of contemporary music so he practices a lot but the only song I ever really wanted to hear when I was little was the Sesame Street song because it is the happiest song.
- •Eating Lunchables and climbing on the statues at Ravinia during my dad's concertsAnd changing into my footie pajamas during intermission. My mom was always prepared with my PJs in the picnic basket.
- •Being woken up on sunday mornings by my dad teaching private lessons😭
- •Going to my dad's concerts at Orchestra Hall and begging him to let me sit backstageConcerts at Orchestra Hall were sooo hard to sit through when I was little. On nights when I was allowed to stay backstage, I'd eat sourdough pretzels and play pool with a trombonist's son.
- •My dad making me practice pianoUghh I h888ed it and eventually quit. Later when I took up percussion my mom told my dad not to make me practice... eventually I started practicing on my own and loved it.
- •Playing a piano recital that I really didn't want to playMy parents totally bribed me with a little Gameboy-sized TV
- •Going to Norway for ClarinetFest and eating lots of clarinet shaped chocolates 🍫ClarinetFest is real
- •Learning the proper way to hold the violin with a Cracker Jack box that had a ruler taped onto it?