A LIST TO PROCESS MY CURRENT THOUGHTS
I am in grad school for mental health counseling, currently interning at an outpatient substance abuse clinic.
- •My client passed away two days ago.
- •I had just seen him for a session the day before.
- •He overdosed.
- •We only had met for three sessions.
- •He was my first client ever.
- •I feel like I'm overreacting because, really, I hardly knew him.
- •But I feel so sad. And I wonder what role I had in his choice to use again after being clean for a time.
- •I know it likely has nothing to do with me. And people will do what they want to do.
- •But still.
- •I wonder if people can ever get out of the way of themselves.
- •There was a fly at my internship last night that kept flying into the light, zapping himself, as they do. I don't know but I feel like there's a metaphor there.
- •He was a good person. I wish he had seen that in himself too.