MUSINGS ON BEING MARRIED TO A BEEKEEPER
- •Sharing my tiny (400 sq ft) studio with a husband, bulldog, and fully constructed beehive while said husband petitions the condo board for permission to keep a hive on the roof.There were no bees in the hive at the time.
- •Salvaging every orange juice container from our recycling bin because they make good sugar water dispensers for the bees.
- •The sound of bees thumping into your front window trying to make it to the back of the house where their hive is.
- •Always having a good ice breaker. Bonus: being able to explain bee behavior without taking a class or reading a book, just absorbing 50% of what hubby says around the house.
- •Harvesting honey from the hive and passing it out to friends and family like we're Oprah at Christmas time.You get a tiny bear bottle, and you get a tiny bear bottle!
- •Hosting friends at our house and having to pacify my husband's excitement over asking the visitor to put on a bee suit and go into the hive.2016 I'm starting a guest book with photos of people in bee suits
- •The dangers of lost night bees on your screen door
- •Seeing a bee miles from your house and claiming it as one of your husband's babies.
- •Consoling a grown man after the death of a queen.